Monday, August 8, 2011
The Notting Hill Carnival 2011 (August 28th and 29th)
The Notting Hill Carnival is a street procession and festival which takes place in the area of west London known as Notting Hill during the long Bank Holiday weekend at the end of August. This year on August 28th and 29th.
The festival is organised by the Caribbean community in London and is one of the largest street celebrations in Europe. It has been taking place annually for about 40 years.
A video of Notting Hill Carnival 2010 with Katy B & Ms Dynamite (sister of rapper Akala)
There are five key components of the carnival, each organised by a different association:
- Calypso (ABC - Association of British Calypsonians)
- Soca (CMA - Caribbean Music Association)
- Static Sound Systems (BASS - British Association of Sound Systems)
- Masquerade (NHMBA - Notting Hill Mas Bands Association)
- Steelpan (BAS - British Association of Steelbands)
The National Panorama Championship is a steel band competition on Saturday 27 August 2011. Artists will perform on stage during the afternoon. The competition usually takes place from about 5pm-9:30pm in London's Hyde Park.