Ethnic minorities don't belong in my English village drama, says UK TV producer

Via Madnews: The producer and co-creator of the hit English TV drama Midsomer Murders has been suspended after telling The Radio Times in an interview that there was no place in the series for ethnic minorities.

He claimed the shows success because of its all-white cast

Producer Brian True-May said, "We just don’t have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn’t be the English village with them. It just wouldn’t work. Suddenly we might be in Slough … We’re the last bastion of English-ness and I want to keep it that way.

Maybe I’m not politically correct … I’m trying to make something that appeals to a certain audience, which seems to succeed. And I don’t want to change it." See the full story at The List



I am not surprised that it's the English drama policy for English village series. I use to watch these English drama series with titles like "Murder in Cambridge", but somehow I never wondered why I never saw a Black or Asian person drinking tea with the vicar.

But that's danger of these images, they make you believe it's normal.

2 Comments

  1. I, too, have been a long-time fan of some "typically" English series. On the one hand, I understand their need to present a way of life that isn't synonymous with the type of life led in places like London/Manchester/Bristol. And rightly so. On the other hand, I fail to see how the stray brown postman or gardner, black passerby or shopgirl, etc., would have signalled the end of an era - or an Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uncagedbirds, I couldn't have said it better!

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form